Sam’s niece loves goldfish. Every time she goes to Grandma’s house, she always asks for Grandma’s Goldfish. It’s not because Sam’s mom makes her own homemade Goldfish, it’s because Grandma gives the good stuff, Goldfish Flavor Blasted Xtra Cheddar! After a few run-ins with the parents on the unhealthiness, I decided to research some recipes for homemade Goldfish crackers that can be guaranteed healthier than the store bought kind.
Homemade Cheddar Cracker Recipe
1 Cup – All-purpose flour
4 Tbsp – Cold Unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
8 oz – Cheddar Cheese
3/4 tsp – Salt
1/2 tsp – Ground Pepper
3 to 4 Tbsp – Water
1. Pulse the flour, butter, cheese, salt, and pepper together using a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Pulse in 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, one tablespoon at a time, and only enough so that the dough forms a ball and rides the blade.
3. Remove, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes or up to 24 hours.
4. Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper and set aside.
5. Roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thickness. (If you roll it thicker, it will still work, but the crackers won’t be quite as crunchy. This dough rolled out so easily; you’ll wish that you always worked with cheddar!)
6. Cut out as many crackers as possible.
7. Place them 1 inch apart on the prepared baking pans.
8. Bake at 350 F until golden and crisp – 15 to 20 minutes.